Chili is a Spanish dish whose full name is chili con carne which is translated as chili pepper with meat. This dish has been prepared for decades and it originates from Mexico and Southern Texas. It has grown to be a very popular dish in the US and most part of Europe.
Although this dish was originally prepared with beans, people now like to experiment with different ingredients to prepare their chili. However, there are proteins to substitute for beans in chili as well as some great recipes you could use.
Substitutes for Beans in Chili
It is not cast in stone that chili must be made with beans. Beef is the leading replacement for beans in chili stew, and pork can be used as well because of the protein value. In some cases, people have substituted beans with tomatoes for a vegetarian chili.
At the end of the day, it is all about experimenting to come up with a meal that appeals to your palate, but more importantly, one which will accord you the same nutritional value.
What are the nutritional benefits of eating chili con carne?
10 Health Benefits of Eating Chili
Most people mistakenly assume that chili is greasy and thus very unhealthy. We are here to tell you that most chili recipes are full of nutrients that your body requires to stay healthy.
The following are some of the health benefits that we get from eating chili on a regular basis:
1. It Contains a Lot of Protein
The main ingredient of most chili recipes is meat which is a great source of protein. If you are a vegetarian and you choose to use beans in your chili instead of meat then you still get a lot of protein from consuming the chili as beans are rich in protein.
2. It Is a Great Source of Vitamin C
Chili uses a lot of pepper which includes bell peppers and chili peppers. These peppers are a great source of vitamin C. the tomato paste and tomatoes used in the dish are also sources of vitamin C.
Vitamin C helps to boost your body’s immunity which is very important in ensuring you remain healthy.
3. It Can Boost Your Happiness
Chilies help to boost the serotonin and endorphin levels in your body which are the ones that regulate your mood. When the levels of these hormones in your body are high, they will make you feel happy.
4. Reduce Fat and Sugar Cravings
Peppers and chilies contain capsicum which helps your body lower its cravings for sweet and fatty foods. This is very helpful especially if you are trying to lose or maintain your weight.
5. Great Source of Iron
The beef or beans in your chili are a great source of iron which is essential for the body. Iron is important in the body as it helps with oxygen circulation to all parts of your body by increasing your red blood cells.
6. Chili Can Help You Lose Weight
The bell peppers and chilies used in this dish are great sources of capsicum. Capsicum helps to increase your body’s metabolism rate. This will help you to lose weight by ensuring that your food is digested faster and none of it is stored up as fat. This will also help your body produce a lot of heat.
7. Helps Regulate Blood Sugar
Chili is really helpful in ensuring that your blood sugar level remains at the right level. This is because chilies help to lower blood sugar levels as well as the insulin to a level that your body needs.
8. It Helps to Clear Congestion
Eating chili during the cold or flu season will be very beneficial to you. This is because it helps in increased mucus production which can help to significantly reduce congestion when one is suffering from a cold or flu.
9. It Helps Boost Immunity
Chili is a great source of vitamin A and vitamin C which are very important when it comes to increasing the body’s immune system. Vitamin A is very important especially during the flu and cold seasons as it can help prevent you from catching the flu or getting a cold.
10. It Can Help You Sleep Better
Studies have shown that eating spicy food can greatly boost your sleep quality. The chili will also help to leave you feeling more awake during the day. You will also feel more energetic the morning after eating chili.
Recipes for Chili Without Beans
The following are some great recipes you could use to prepare chili without beans. These recipes will give you a delicious alternative to the traditional beans chili and ensure that you also get some great nutritional values.
- A pressure cooker (electric)
- Spatula preferably wooden
- Large Pot
- 2.5 kilograms of beef (grounded)
- 2 kilograms ground pork sausage (mild)
- ¼ kg of bacon that has been chopped into small pieces
- 1 can of mild canned tomatoes & chilies
- 6 diced green bell peppers
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of dark cocoa powder
- A can of 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2* 1.25-ounce packets of mild chili seasoning. You can choose the gluten-free version if you prefer
- Cook your ground pork sausage, beef and diced bacon in the cooking pot until they are brown.
- Drain them and then put them back in your pot
- Take your onions, cocoa powder, and chili seasoning and add them to your meat mixture
- Leave them to sauté for about 3 minutes
- Add all the other remaining ingredients into the pot and stir them well
- You can choose to cook chili on low heat for at least 4 hours or preferably the whole day using your pot and normal cooker. If you want the food to be ready faster, you can choose to place your chili in an electric pressure cooker and it will cook properly in 60 minutes or less.
- Once the chili is done you can serve it with sweet cornbread or no-knead beer bread preferably homemade. You can also serve it with creamy mashed potatoes or cinnamon roll sugar cookies that are just delicious.
The above recipe can serve up to 24 people and it only contains 260 calories.
- 2 cloves of garlic that have been minced
- 1 kilogram of ground beef
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds (ground)
- 1 onion, large and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of hot pepper sauce
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar
- A can of crushed tomatoes
- Take a large stock pot and crumble the ground beef inside it and place it on medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions to the beef and cook it while stirring regularly until the beef turns brown
- Drain out any excess grease from the beef and then return the pot with the beef back on the heat
- Add the seasoning consisting of chili powder, hot sauce, cumin and oregano to the beef and stir
- Finally, add the vinegar and tomatoes to the pot and stir it properly.
- Bring the dish to a boil and then lower the heat and allow the food to simmer for at least an hour but it is preferable to leave it for much longer. Ensure that you stir the food occasionally so as to prevent it from burning.
This dish will be able to serve 6 people and only contains 226 calories.
Chili con carne is packed with great health benefits and is even a comfort food which boosts sleep. Contrary to what people would expect, chili also helps with weight loss instead of packing extra pounds which is great news for those people who are looking for a delicious meal without having to worry about gaining weight.
Chili can be eaten on any occasion and weather including the cold weather. It is advisable to eat chili when you are suffering from a cold or you have the flu. This dish will help you feel better in no time.
Use the substitute for beans in chili- pork and beef to cook delicious chili which is rich in both proteins and vitamins. They are great healthy substitutes for beans.