The Best Lasagna: Pastelon de Platano Maduro
What is Pastelon de platano maduro?
This is a dish that originates from Puerto Rico. It is a casserole dish that is layered almost similar to the Italian lasagna. Pastelon is made using a tomato-based sauce, sweet plantains, cheese and ground beef. This lasagna dish is equally as popular in the Dominican Republic.
How to make the banana lasagna
The following is easy to follow set of instructions on how to create this amazing dish.
- 1 kg of ground beef (lean)
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 chopped bell pepper (green)
- 3 ajicitos (chopped)
- 3 minced cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup of dry sherry
- 1 chopped white onion (medium)
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- 1 cup of tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Oregon (dried)
- 1 bay leaf (whole)
- 3 cilantro leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup red peppers (roasted and chopped)
- ½ teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- ¼ cup of sliced green olives
- 8 cups of water
- 5 plantains which are yellow with black spots (trimmed and sliced in half)
- ½ cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- The first step you should take is preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Next step is buttering a baking dish which has a size of 139 inches and the place it aside.
- The next step is preparing your picadillo. Heat your oil in a large pan on medium heat.
- Add the green peppers, onions, and ajicitos and leave them to cook for about 3 minutes until they get soft
- Add the garlic and allow to cook for another 2 minutes
- Add the ground beef and ensure you break it up so as to prevent it from limping
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, raisins, bay leaf and sherry
- Lower the hit and allow the food to simmer and cover it for 15 minutes
- Add the sliced olives, recao, capers and red peppers and then remove the bay leaf from the pan.
- After about two minutes, remove the pan and set aside your picadillo
- Take a large cooking pot and add your water, unpeeled plantains and salt
- Place it on heat and bring it to a high simmer
- Cover the pot and leave it to cook for 15 more minutes and then remove it from the heat and drain all the water
- Once the plantains are cool enough to touch, though still warm, peel them and place them in a large, clean bowl
- Mash the plantains together and then add the melted butter and stir
- Take half of the plantain mixture and then put it in the pre-buttered baking pan and spread it to form an even layer
- Take your nicely prepared picadillo and spread it on top of your plantain
- Take the remaining plantain and spread it evenly over your picadillo
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the plantain and put your baking tin into the preheated oven
- Bake the dish in the oven for about 20 minutes until you see that it has started browning
- You can serve it with a side of vegetables
Benefits of eating this dish
The following are some of the benefits you will get from eating this delicious meal:
- Provide you with protein and fat
This meal has meat which provides your body with proteins which are essential for bodybuilding. The protein upon consumption is broken down by your body into amino acids which are used for the health of your body tissues.
The cheese used in the dish also provides your body with vitamins as well as saturated fats thus ensure you use a limited amount so as to reap the best benefits from it
- Vitamins and minerals
The meat, tomatoes, and cheese contain generous amounts of vitamin B that are essential to increasing your body’s metabolism. The ground beef also provides your body with iron which helps in increasing your blood circulation as well as increasing your blood count.
The plantain is another source of vital vitamins for your body as well as potassium which helps to keep your blood pressure on normal balance.
The red peppers provide your body with vitamin C which is very important in maintaining the health of your bones. The salt provides your body with sodium which is important in maintaining the balance of fluids in your body.
- Helps in bodybuilding
If you are looking to gain muscles then this is the right food for you. This is because the dish is high in calories.
The ingredients used in preparing this casserole dish such as meat and cheese are essential in building muscles as well as repairing damaged cells.
- Pastelon de platano and sleep
We all know that getting a good night’s sleep is vital to our health as well as our general disposition. This dish is high in potassium which helps to maintain your blood pressure which is one of the conditions that can cause you to lose sleep. This will help you sleep peacefully throughout the night.
The dish is high in proteins which ensures that your muscles growth is maintained and damaged cells are also repaired which prevents muscle aches and thus ensure your sleep is uninterrupted through the night.
This meal provides your body with potassium which helps in cell and nerve communication which helps to maintain your cardiovascular health and keep your blood pressure low enough. This is essential in making sure that you get quality sleep during the night.
The calcium supplied by the dish helps to maintain your body’s sleep and wake schedule thus ensuring you have a healthy sleeping culture.
Pastelon de platano Maduro is a healthy dish made from ripe bananas and meat. It is an incredibly delicious and healthy dish that everyone is guaranteed to enjoy.
The dish is made from many ingredients that help to provide your body with the necessary nutrients to ensure you remain healthy and fit.
Eating a serving of this dish ensures that you have had a balanced diet without having to cook each food group separately.
The dish offers us a number of great health benefits including maintaining our blood pressure and maintaining our cardiovascular health.
Studies have also shown that including tomatoes in our meals can help us reduce the risk of getting cancer. The tomatoes also help to increase our bodies’ metabolism which helps us burn fat naturally thus ensuring we do not become obese.
Maintaining our body weight is essential in ensuring we get quality sleep because obesity is one of the causes of insomnia which is a sleep disorder where people find it difficult to fall/stay asleep.
The recipe we have given you is simple to follow and it will create a meal enough to feed your whole family. The time used to cook this casserole dish is very little and thus you can even make it in the evening once you come off work if you are a busy parent. Give the traditional lasagna this Caribbean banana plantain twist for a delicious comfort meal.
Read more: What Does Bone Marrow Taste Like?