Why Can Mattress Topper Help With Back Pain?
With an alarming increase in the sedentary and busy lifestyle of people, a lot of us are prone to suffer from back pain. Back pain or spinal discomforts are directly related to your body’s posture and alignment, not only during the day but also when you are well asleep. Thus, it is essential to maintain the correct alignment of your body even when you are sleeping.
This article revolves around some the best ways in which a mattress topper can help you with back pain. Let’s dive in and get into the details of using the best mattress topper to reduce your distress.
What is a mattress topper?
A comfortable bed is everyone’s desire and especially if you suffer from back pain and discomforts. An expensive memory-foam based mattress is one of the best surfaces that can be used to subdue this pain. However, such mattresses can be very expensive, and a lot of people would love to choose its alternate options.
Mattress topper can be an excellent alternative to a comfortable memory-foam mattress. These toppers are layers of foam padding that are usually 1 to 3 inches in width, used above your bed to provide an improved cushioned feel to your mattress.
What are the probable causes of back pains?
A lot of factors can be accounted for severe back pain and discomforts. Some of the most common and proven factors are:
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- Lack of exercises.
- Increased bodyweight.
- Improper sleeping postures.
- Stress or depression.
Why do we need a mattress topper to relieve back pain?
Firm or rigid mattresses can severely affect the sleeper’s back and spinal stiffness. Such cushions do not help the body to maintain its natural alignment while being asleep. Instead of reducing the back problems, an uncomfortable bed can elevate it, or even make it chronic by nature. Thus a mattress topper acts as a rescue to all these problems. These toppers are not very expensive, but they can provide the same benefits of a high-class memory foam based mattress. Toppers can boost the comfort level of your bed thereby reducing your discomforts and pains.
Types of mattress toppers to relieve back pains
Based on their compositions, toppers are classified into two categories:
1. Memory Foam based mattress toppers for your back pain
Memory foam mattress toppers are highly recommended by chiropractors to those who are diagnosed with back pains. This material can contour to your body shape while you are asleep, letting your body acquire its natural position and incline. When you sleep with a correct posture, your back tends to heal in the process, and you wake up with a significantly reduced pain.
2. Latex Foam based mattress toppers for your back pain
Latex foam mattresses significantly help to lower back pain and spinal discomforts. These toppers have pin-core holes in them, which absorbs your entire body weight and provide maximum support to your spinal cord. However, latex is hypoallergic in nature, so give this a check before you choose one of the above toppers.
How does a mattress topper alleviate back pain
Mattress toppers can turn out to be an angel for those who frequently wake up with body soreness or aches. These toppers add a new level of comfort to your mattress as it can psychologically improve your mood and sleep patterns.
Firm or saggy mattresses prevent the proper alignment of your body. Ideally, while you are asleep, the wider parts of the body must sink into the bed whereas the lighter parts like the waist or neck should be slightly elevated. A properly padded topper can beautifully achieve this alignment and help your body to attain a perfect pain-free posture and
1. Reduces back pain
This is one of the moat weighted benefits of a mattress topper. A large section of people who invest in a new topper or mattress are most likely to be inclined towards this reason. Even chiropractors encourage the use of such foam padding to reduce back pain in adults.
Toppers are flexible and can memorize your posture/ alignment. Sleeping on such contouring surfaces can be extremely comfortable, and they ease all the pain in your body. When you sleep with a correct posture, pressure points are properly directed to different body parts and help to heal the pain and discomforts in those parts. Sleeping on a comfortable topper can ensure a night of good sleep, and undoubtedly you will be refreshed and healthy after you wake up.
2. Maintains a cooler temperature
Memory foam mattresses are often associated with cooling gel technology that keeps our bed cooler allowing improved blood circulation across the body. Even latex toppers have air holes that maintain an optimal temperature of the bed, thereby giving a relaxed and strain less feel to the body. Overall, it allows the body to breathe; and heal all the pains and discomfort while you are lying on it.
3. Inexpensive and customizable solution
A memory foam based mattress can cost a fortune to a lot of people. So, toppers turn out to be cheap but equally useful alternatives for cushions. High -quality to reliable mid toppers are very popular in the market. They not only alleviate back pain or discomfort but you can customize it in accord with your requirement.
People who suffer from severe back pain can opt for mattresses that are thicker in width and provide useful cushion and comfort to your spine. On the other hand, for mild sufferers, moderately padded cushions can be used efficiently. Thus, sufferers can choose their toppers depending on their pain and response, and luckily all these will fall within your budget.
Mattresses can be a house to a whole lot of viruses and bacteria. Over the years, the continuous use of cushions has made it susceptible to act as a host to harmful microorganisms. When you are sick or when you sweat, the germs and bacteria directly pass into the surface and multiply vigorously. Toppers, on the other hand, is antifungal, antibacterial and moist resistant. This makes your bed breathable and unharmful for a more extended period of use.
Pros of using mattress topper
- Helps to alleviate back pain, independent of sleepers of any type or weight.
- They are breathable and conform to your body shape.
- Inexpensive when compared to equally useful mattresses.
- Gel-infused technology and air pores can keep the toppers cooler, thereby providing a comfortable sleeping surface.
- Customizable thickness helps to cut down your expenses without compromising on the benefits.
Cons of mattress toppers
- If your mattress does not have a uniform shape, the topper will contour to the shape of your cushion thereby making it an inappropriate choice for pain relief.
- If used without topper cover, cleaning them can turn out to be a nightmare.
Factors to consider before you opt for a mattress topper
This article highlights the benefits of using a mattress topper for back pain and spinal discomfort. But some factors must be considered before you choose your perfect topper:
- Conforming techniques: The mattress topper should be designed in a way so that it accurately conforms to your body shape. This includes a perfect spinal alignment along with an apt pressure on the broader parts of your body.
- Texture: Always choose the toppers that are medium-firm in nature. A soft sagging mattress topper can look very comfortable, but it fails to give the correct alignment to the body. On the other hand, a firm topper can elevate this issue as well as can become a reason for spinal stiffness.
- Thickness: A perfect thickness of mattress topper is highly subjective. Depending on the severity of the pain choose the density of your topper. If the pain is chronic or severe, choose a thick mattress, otherwise opt for a low padded option. This permits you to keep your expenses in check without compromising on the benefits.
- Composition: A memory foam or latex based toppers are designed to relieve back pain while you are sleeping. However, both of them have a different mechanism that works wonder. A memory foam topper usually conforms to our shape and retains the way for a longer time, whereas a latex based topper instantly jumps from the contoured shape to its original form. Thus, both of them are equally effective, and their use depends on the choice and response of your body.
Thus all these factors must be considered before you decide to choose a mattress topper for your back pain and comfortable sleep.
Back pain is one of the common but severe problems amongst a lot of people. A chiropractor or medical help can be expensive. Mattress topper is a feasible and cheaper solution to this problem. While you are sleeping, the surface beneath your body should align your posture and shape, so that you can relax and heal within that period.
Toppers can help you with this. They are designed in a way to alleviate the pain and discomforts in individuals and boost their sleep and health. Thus, you can choose this option and give it a try; the results might surprise you!