Castles of Ribeauville
The " Saint Ulrich "
11th century. Construction of the castle by Reginbold, at that time stronghold of the Empire.
1084. The " Saint Ulrich " passes under the control of the bishop of Basle.
1247. King Rodolphe of Habsbourg besieges the castle without success.
15th century. The castle " Saint Ulrich " is abandonned by the lords of Ribeaupierre.
The " Haut-Ribeaupierre "
Above Ribeauville and with the shade of the " Taennchel " draws up the "Altenkastel" or " Haut-Ribeaupierre ".
Castle built out of sandstone, dominating Ribeauvillé, city of the Street musicians.
13th century. Construction of the fortress of the lords of Rapoltstein or " Ribeaupierre ", undoubtedly on an old Roman site, from where its name : alten = altus, or raised and kastel = castellum, strengthened camp under the Romans' time.
1384 to 1387. The " Haut-Ribeaupierre " was used as prison for the knight John Harleston during the Hundred Years War,
1477. The " Haut-Ribeaupierre " was again used as prison for Philippe of Croy, count of Chimay, allied with Charles the Bold, made prisoner by the Ribeaupierre in Nancy.
The " Haut-Ribeaupierre " was ruined during the Thirty Years War.
The " Giersberg "
13th century. Construction by the Ribeaupierre and donation to the Giersberg.
1288. A part of the castle is destroyed by a lightning.
17th century. The " Giersberg " is abandoned.
Castle of " Kaysersberg "
1226. Construction, on a rock headland dominating the valley.
1227. The origin of Kaysersberg or "Mount of the emperor" goes back to 1227, year during which, the king Henri VII, wire of Frederic II of Hohenstaufen, emperor of the Germanic Holy Roman Empire, bought the land rights of the castle. Extended and reinforced, the imperial fortress controlled the entry of the valley.
The castle located at the time, on one of the principal axes of East-West communication locked the passage of it.
1632. The castle was burnt . Its cylindrical keep is one of oldest of Alsace.
Flashover of the ruins of the castle on July 13 at the evening.
[ Back to Top of the Page ]KATZENTHAL
Castle of " Wineck "
The castle of Wineck, only castle of Alsace surrounded by vines, dominates the village and the
vineyard of Katzenthal. The famous Great Vintage "Wineck-Schlossberg" draws its name from it.
1200. Built about 1200 by the counts of Eguisheim-Dabo,
1251. Named for the first time, when the Count Ulrich of Ferrette offered it to the bishop of Strasbourg.
14th century. Held in stronghold by the knights of Wineck, it becomes as of the middle of the century property of this ancient family from Colmar, and will remain it until 1828.
1828. Becomes property of the barons of Rathsamhausen.
1866. It becomes property of the society for the Conservation of the Historic Buildings of Alsace.
1972. Significant works of restoration are undertaken by the " Friends of the Wineck ".
From April at October, Sundays and public holidays from 14:30 to 18:00.
Visit of the castle, the keep with the exhibition of objects discovered at the time of the excavations.
For the visits of group out of the usual schedules, please call phone : + 33 3 89 27 23 17.
Castle of " Hohlandsbourg "
1279. On the impulse of Habsbourg, the " Hohlandsbourg " was built by Siegfried of Gundolsheim, then provost of Colmar, on a hill top dominating Wintzenheim from its 620 meters of altitude.
1281. It is besieged by the middle-class men of Colmar, who set fire to it and destroyed it. 1300. It is rebuilt by the Habsbourg who made a significant administrative center of it.
1465. The castle is again razed by the troops of the free cities.
14th and 15th centuries. It is gradually extended and reinforced by the Counts of Lupfen, thus that by Lazare Schwendi at the 16th century.
1633. Remarkable example of military architecture in Alsace, occupied by the Austrians, it is besieged and destroyed by the Swedes.
1635. Dismantled by the French during the Thirty Years War.
1840. Classified Historic Building,
1985. Its restoration was initiated by a decision of the Conseil General of Haut-Rhin.
Opened to the public Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays as from the 1st week-end of April until the last week-end of October.
- from 14:00 to 18:00 hours on Saturdays,
- from 11:00 to 18:00 hours on Sunday and public holidays,
- or upon appointment.
Information : phone : + 33 3 89 30 10 20.
[ Back to Top of the Page ]
HUSSEREN - LES - CHATEAUX
11th and 12th centuries. The 3 castles of " Husseren ", also called 3 castles of Eguisheim were built by the craftsmen and the workmen of the two cities.
The " Dagsbourg " - " Wahlenbourg " - " Weckmund " are profiling on the hill of the Schlossberg: in the south, the " Weckmund ", with its seigneurial home ; in the center, the " Wahlenburg ", and in the north, the beautiful vestiges of the " Dagsbourg ".
1006. Probably oldest castle of Alsace, the " Haut-Eguisheim " appears, after property of count Hugues and of his wife Heilwige .
1026. It is devastated by Ernest, duke of Souabia . The legend says that the castel vault Saint Pancrace would have been devoted, by Pope Leon IX, between 1049 and 1054.
1074. Gerard, nephew of the Pope Leon IX, lives the castle.
1150. After the death of Ulric of Eguisheim, his nephew, the count Louis 1st of Ferrette recovers the Alsatian possessions of Eguisheim. At that time the " Dagsbourg ", the western castle is built.
1199. A part of it is destroyed by the King of Germany, Philippe.
1225. After the death of Gertrude of Dabo, the Ferrette family asserts its succession. In order to cross court all dispute, the bishop of Strasbourg buys these inheritancees tax death from the margraves of Baden.
1236. The emperor Frederic II gives up his claims on the castle.
1324. After the Ferrette, the Habsbourg take advantage of their rights on Eguisheim and enter in possession of part of the " Haut-Eguisheim ".
1466. The castle is destroyed during the war of the "6 deniers of money" : it had been initially declared by a mulhousian miller claiming his wages of approximately 6 deniers of money from the city of Mulhouse. The captain of the guard of the castles of Eguisheim, Pierre of Reguisheim, could finally fullfill his wish and start to quarrel with the city of Mulhouse. To its great distress, the troops of Mulhouse dismantled the " Wahlenbourg " and the " Weckmund ".
[ Back to Top of the Page ]
Monument of the " Diables Bleus " or " Blue Devils " carried out by the Parisian sculptors Vermare and Moreau-Vautier.
It is dedicated to the glory of the " Blue Devils ", nickname given to the valorous alpine troups having taken part in the keen combat of the Vosgean mountain during WW I.
1927. Set up and inauguration by President Poincaré, his bronze hunter will be destroyed in 1940 by the nazis in order to eliminate any trace from the French Memory in Alsace.
This one is restored and replaced in 1960 by a new bronze sculpture carried out by Bouret.
It is located just below the top of the Grand Ballon, or Ballon of Guebwiller, on the " Route des Crêtes " which runs along the Vosges peaks.
Information at Tourist Offices of :
- Guebwiller :
- Phone : + 33 3 89 76 10 63 - Fax : + 33 3 89 76 52 72 - E-mail : email@example.com
- Soultz :
- Phone : + 33 3 89 76 83 60 - Fax : + 33 3 89 74 86 12 - E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Monument of the " Hartmannswillerkopf "
The monument of the " Hartmannswillerkopf " (Vieil-Armand) is one of the 4 memorials set up on the after the armistice of November 11th, 1918.
Classified National Monument since 1921 the " Hartmannswillerkopf " (Vieil-Armand) is a place of memory, with a necropolis of 1264 identified individual tombs, 6 ossuaries of 64 unidentified bodies and a crypt with three furnace bridges: catholic, protesting and jewish.
The deadly offensive for the possession of this strategic peak dominating , from its 956 meters of altitude, the south of the plain of Alsace began on December 31st, 1914, and went on for 4 years...
The combat were particularly fatal during the year 1915 when the top, stakes of the wild ones combat of the face of the Vosges, changed eight times of hand...
A white cross , 20 meters high and 5,25 broad dominates the " Hartmannswillerkopf ".
Also the monument of the " Red Devils " nickname given to the infantrymen of the 152nd regiment of infantry, which took part with bravery in the engagements during WW I.
From the top of the " Hartmannswillerkopf " superb panoramic view on the plain of Alsace, Black Forest, the Jura and, by ideal weather the Alps of the Berner Oberland .
The site of the " Hartmannswillerkopf " is opened to the public from April, 1st until November 11th.
With exception of the crypt charging an entrance fee for 12 years + , the site is of free access.
Free guided tours on Wednesday afternoon are organized in July and August.
Except during the summer season, a visit fee is charged for visits only upon previous appointment.
Information at the Tourist Office of Cernay :
- Phone + 33 3 89 75 50 35
- E-mail: email@example.com
[ Back to Top of the Page ]