FranÁais Deutsch English


Good Addresses of the Route des Vins d'Alsace

Good Adresses elsewhere in Alsace

The Villages

The Gastronomy

Grape Varieties

Grands Crus Wines

Regions

Museums

The Vineyard Footpathes

The Brotherhood Saint-Etienne






Contact

Search
 Keywords :
  
 (exemple : vins,alsace)
 Category :
  


Home  > The Villages of the Route des Vins d'Alsace >  Riquewihr >  The Historian & The Stroller & Miscellaneous-Infos  Retour
Gustave Lorentz
Riquewihr Riquewihr

Riquewihr
Grands Crus : [ Schoenenbourg ] [ Sporen ]

The Historian

Riquewihr The Upper Gateway Copyright ARdVThe village was mentioned for the first time under the name " Rochovilare " in documents of 1049.
During the 11th century it belonged, as part of it, to the property of the Counts of Eguisheim.
Chief town in the 12th century of a seigniory belonging to the Lords of " Horbourg ", who fortified it in 1291 and conferred the status of town on it in 1320. In 1324, the " Horbourg " sold all their possessions to the Counts of " Wurtemberg " and died out little afterwards.
Riquewihr remained in the hands of the Counts, then Dukes of " Wurtemberg " until 1793. Their armorial bearings are omnipresent in the city.
In 1525, the inhabitants tired of undergoing the tyrannical treament which was inflicted to them by the Dukes, took part in the Peasants' War.
The Calvinism was introduced in 1534, and the Lutheranism little after in 1559.
The 16th century and the beginning of the 17th century marked the apogee of the city, enriched by the sale of its famous wines.
The Thirty Year's War set an end to this prosperity.
Riquewihr made new great strides in the 18th century after joining France in 1793.
Since the 20th century, Riquewihr knows a deserved tourist success and is currently one of the most visited places France, pearl of Alsace and the vineyard, is surely one of the most beautiful villages of France.
One rushes up from the whole world to discover its treasures.

[ Back to the top of the page ]

The Stroller

Remainders of a Roman villa.
The surrounding dry-stone wall of " Rutenbuckel ".
A Merovingian cemetery. Urban districts. Riquewihr The World Known Dolder Copyright R. Fehrenbach
The fortified surrounding wall going back to 1291 with its " Thieves' tower " former prison, the " Obertor " or " Upper Gateway " or " Dolder " for the natives, dating from the 16th century.
The Town Hall of 1809 was set up on the site of " Untertor " or " Lower Gateway ".
The old castle, today Postal Museum, going back to 1540.
The ruins of " Bilstein's castle " of the 13th century, commonly called " Bilstein of Aubure " to distinguish it from the " Bilstein of Urbeis ", in the department (administrative division) of the Bas-Rhin, but indeed on the territory of Riquewihr.
Ruins of the " Reichenstein's castle " with its pentagonal tower.
Particularly rich and picturesque, the Main Street invites you to the saunter.
You shall stroll along at number 9, the " Irion's House " of 1606, with at number 12-14 the " Jung-Selig's house " of 1564, with at number 15 the " Liebrich' house " known as " Storks' courtyard " of 1535 with a well of 1603, with at numbers 16 and 17 the " Behrel's house " with oriel window of 1709, with at numbers 30 and 31 the " Berschy's house " of 1545 known as " of the Black Bear ", with at number 37 the " Berkheim's hostel " of 1523, with at number 40 the former hotel " The Star " of 1686, with at number 46 the " Zimmer's house " with its turret and its portal of 1613, the " Thalinger's house ".
The fountain of the " Sinne " formerly being used for the gauging of the barrels, goes back to 1560.
Riquewihr Fountain Copyright R. FehrenbachThe street of the Stag with at number 2 the " Kiener's house " of 1574 with its well of 1576, at number 3 the " Dopff 's house " of 1566, the old hostelry of " The Stag ".
The " Lateral street ": the house at number 6 going back to 1551, at number 13 the " Abry's house " of the 17th century, and at numbers 10, 11 and 12.
The " street of the First Army ": the house called " To the Pike ", going back to 1471, at number 15 the house called " to the Buttercup ", going back to 1560.
Courtyard of Strasbourg going back to 1460, the " Hugel's house " of 1597.
The " Saint Nicolas' Street ": numbers 6, 8, 12.
The " Kilian's street " 4, going back to 1618.
The " Horse's street ", at number 4 the " Wurtz' house " of 1581, with a well of 1578.
On " Stables' Street ", at number 3, of 1577.
The " Rope-makers 'street ", at number 7, going back to 1672.
The " Crown's street " at number 6, of 1610; at number 18, of 1683.
The " Three Churches' square ": with the old " Midwife's House ".
" Vine Growers' Courtyard " and its former "Vine growers'corporation conference room".
The " Jews' Courtyard " of 1509.
Also the vestiges of the " Our Lady's Church " of 1337, today closed down.
The chapel of the " Saint Erhard's Hospital " built from 1441 to 1536.
The Protestant temple of 1846 with its organ case going back to 1781 and its platform. The catholic church of 1864, by Holz.

[ Back to the top of the page ]

Miscellaneous-Infos

The HANSI Museum Museum : Phone + 33 3 89 47 97 00.
 - The Dolder Museum (local antiques museum with old weapons).
   Phone :+ 33 3 89 47 92 15 - Fax : + 33 3 89 49 08 49.
 - The Thieves' Tower Museum (winery and local history),
   Phone : + 33 3 89 47 92 15 - Fax : + 33 3 89 49 08 49.
 - The Museum of the Post and Telecoms of Alsace :
   Phone : + 33 3 89 47 93 80 - Fax : + 33 3 89 47 84 71.
 - The Mail coaches Museum : an unique collection of mail-coaches from the 18th until the 20th century : Phone : + 33 3 89 47 93 80 - Fax : + 33 3 89 47 84 71.

Situation sheltered within the hollow of hills at the foot of the Vosges mountains, authorizing many excursions, forest hikes.
Forest.
Ponds. Riquewihr Copyright ARdV R. Fehrenbach
Vine: Route des Vins d'Alsace, production of Riesling, in particular Grand Crus of
" Schoenenbourg " (quoted as of 1644), constituting the " pearl of the vineyard ", and  " Sporen ".
Orchards.
Many festivals and weekly animations during the tourist summer season.
Music Festival the 4th Saturday of June.
Free Light and Sound at the Dolder from the last week-end of June until August 31st.
Free guided visit of the Old Town from July 1st until August 31st at 17:00. Start in front of the Town Hall.
Guided stroll on the Winepath of the Grands Crus and visit of a cellar with degustation: everyday at 17:00. Inquires and program at the Tourist Office.
Degustation of wines with musical animation the 3 three first week-ends of September.
Sales of New Wine the 2 first week ends of October.
Camp-site.
Guided visits in the Little Touristical Train : from May 1st until October 1st.
Phone : + 33 3 89 73 24 24 - Fax: + 33 3 89 73 32 94. Alternatively departing from Beblenheim, Bennwihr, Hunawihr, Mittelwihr, Riquewihr and Zellenberg, except on Saturdays and Sundays from July 1st until October 1st.
Tourist Information Office. Phone : + 33 3 89 47 80 80 - Fax : + 33 3 89 49 08 49.
E-mail : info@ribeauville-riquewihr.com

Christmas and Year-end festivities :
Please see http://www.alsace-noel.com

[ Back to the top of the page ]


Gustave Lorentz



La Table de Mittelwihr
J.J. KLEIN Restaurateur à MITTELWIHR
Tél. 03 89 78 61 40
Fax. 03 89 86 01 66
Cliquez ici pour mieux nous connaître
 
Distillerie Artisanale G.MICLO
Distillerie Artisanale d'Eaux-de-Vie de Fruits
68650 LAPOUTROIE
Tél. 03 89 47 50 16 Fax 03 89 47 21 03
Pour nous découvrir, cliquez ici
  [Report an error or a broken link ]
Certification IDDN