Occupied under all the times since the Neolithic era, " Ratbaldo vilare " or " farm of Ratbald " appears in 759. This same name gave in modern German " Rappoltsweiler ", in Alsatian dialect " Rappschwihr " and in French " Ribeauvillé ". The borough belonged to the lords of " Rappoltstein " or " Ribeaupierre " who, since the 11th century resided at the castle of " Rappoltstein ", renamed later " Saint-Ulrich ", name of the owner of the castle vault. The " Rappoltstein " built during the 13th century the castles of " Hohrappoltstein " or " Haut-Ribeaupierre " and of " Girsberg ". They decided also to fortify the city towards 1287. Enlarged several times to face its expansion, the urban enclosure formed as from the 14th century four autonomous and contiguous districts, communicating between them by fortified gateways. Two districts of the upper city and those of the lower city often belonging to two different branches of the family, each one their own castle in their part of the city. In 1525, the " Rappolstein " severely punished the inhabitants' participation in the Peasants' War. The " Rappoltstein " died out into 1673, not without having tried in 1563 to introduce the Reform, without much success. Their heirs, a branch of Palatines' Count, recognized French sovereignty, but kept the seigniory until 1801. A this time, the last among them, " Maximilian of Palatinat Deux Ponts ", was named King of Bavaria by Napoleon. The " Rappoltstein " and their successors were " Kings of the street musicians ", i.e. they had in stronghold of Empire the protection and the jurisdiction of all the itinerant street musicians and wandering entertainers of Alsace. The street musicians' brotherhood met each year in Ribeauvillé on September 8th . After a pilgrimage at " Our Lady of Dusenbach ", local site of pilgrimage, within the sound of the instruments, the " Rappoltstein " judged the disputes between the street musicians. Nowadays, the " Pfifferdaj " or " Street musicians' day " is celebrated again with great splendour.
Vestiges of the occupation of the " Michelsberg " at the time of the final Neolithic era, at the age of final bronze and Hallstatt under the Saint-Ulrich's castle. There is a cyclopean wall below the " Girsberg's castle ". Vestiges of Neolithic housing, and burials of the Age of Bronze. Roman villa dating from the Roman occupation on the site of " Hohrappoltstein ". Ancient Merovingian cemetery. Particularly remarkable, the house of " Ave Maria " known as " Pfifferhüs " or " Street Musicians' House ", with box window, towards 1680. Some houses of Renaissance style At number 4, Salzmann's street and at number 4, Convent's street. The former corn exchange of 1437. Half-timbered houses, on Jews' street. The old chapel of the hospital, today museum, of the 15t century. The former hospital, beside the vault, with inscriptions of 1542 and 1739. Houses of Renaissance style at numbers 9 and 12 " Place du Bouc ", going back to 1694. A house with gate at number 7, of " Main street. Other houses of Renaissance style at numbers 21 and 25, " Klobb's street. A beautiful Renaissance fountain on Town hall' square. Another fountain on " Republic's square " going back it to 1576. Also the Renaissance style fountain at number 81, Main Street. The Town Hall of 1778, today " Town hall's museum " with the goldsmithery of the " Rappoltstein " in particular their collection of goblets dating from the 15th to the 17th centuries. The " Butchers' gate " of the 13th century, made higher in 1536. The gate of the Virgins transformed in 1780. Round towers of the ramparts. The " Three-Kings' Inn " of 1540, the hostelry " of the Sun " of the 16th century. Ruins of the " Girsberg's castle of the 13th century, the " Hohrappoltstein " or " Haut-Ribeaupierre " of 13th to the 15th centuries, " Saint-Ulrich " with dungeon and housing of the 12th century, the Knights' room of the beginning of the 13th century, the extensions of the 13th to the 16th centuries. The Gothic church of the former convent of the Augustines, current convent of the sisters of Providence with its nave with baroque vaults, its Gothic portal and a pier with a Virgin of the 14th century. The church " Saint Grégoire " with its Gothic nave, and arches of the 15th century, tympanum towards 1400 with Virgo with the Child and Crucifixion, transept of 1876, choir rebuilt to origin in 1876 also, bell-tower Gothic at its base, the top going back to 1876. Vaults of " Dusenbach" dating from the 15th century, ruined at the 17th century, restored in 1894. The of neo-gothic style main church of " Dusenbach ", 1903. The museum of the " Old People's Home " redraws the local history, and has also beautiful furniture.
Thermal station at the foot of the Vosges mountains. Panoramic view from the site of the " Taennchel " on the valley of " Sainte Marie aux Mines ". The site of " Dusenbach ", place of pilgrimage, is nested in a small isolated valley. The Rock of the Jump of the Stag. The valley of Sirenghbach. National forest. Pedestrian paths - " Herrengarten ". Vine: Route des Vins d'Alsace, very active wine cooperative. Grands Crus Wines " Geisberg ", " Kirchberg ", " Osterberg ". Horticulture, cereals, orchards, bee-keeping. Folk festival of the " Kougelhopf " 2nd Sunday of June. Mediaeval Market on August 18th. Wines Fair prior the last weekend of July.
Local fair 4th Sunday of August, 1st and 2nd Sundays of September. " Fiddlers' festival" or " Pffiferdaj ", ancient traditional clothing, parade of floats : 1st Sunday of September. Pilgrimage of Our Lady of Dusenbach on 2nd Sunday of September. Ancient Music Festival : Informations : Tél. + 33 3 89 73 20 00 - Fax + 33 3 89 73 37 18. Fishing. Thermal spring " Carola ". Cloth printing. Association for the conservation and the restoration of the 3 castles of Ribeauvillé. Youth hostel. Choral society. Section of the Club Vosgien. Inter-communal syndicate with multiple vocations of Ribeauvillé and surroundings. Festival committee: many sporting, socio-cultural and traditional folk events all the year in the area of Ribeauvillé. Craft industry, ceramist, potter. Swimming pool, camp-sites. Municipal Museum : Phone : + 33 3 89 73 20 00 - Fax : + 33 3 89 73 37 18. Museum of the grape and Winegrowing : Cave vinicole de Ribeauvillé. Phone : + 33 3 89 73 61 80 - Fax : + 33 3 89 73 31 21. Guided city tours on the mini train : from May 1st till October 1st . Phone : + 33 3 89 73 24 74 - Fax: + 33 3 89 73 32 94.